Nobody wants to have stretch marks, but sometimes it’s hard to avoid them. One way to minimize the risk is to use the right products and follow some healthy habits to lower the chances of getting stretch marks. However, it becomes an unwanted permanent feature once the stretch marks are already there.
Stretch marks are a typical case for many people. They can be brought about by pregnancy, weight gain, and other factors. Many want to remove them but are not sure how they should go about it. There are so many anti-stretch marks products out there that it can be confusing which one to use. On top of that, you’ll only know of their effectiveness once you’ve bought and applied them.
If you’re looking to get rid of these unsightly markings on your skin, there are some things you should know before trying out one of the many treatments available on the market today. Otherwise, you would have to constantly do trial and error until you find one that’s effective for you.
Why Do Stretch Marks Develop?
Stretch marks, also known as striae gravidarum, are streaks of red or purple lines that appear on the skin due to excess skin stretching over an increased amount of surface area. They can also appear on other body parts, such as your back or abdomen. While they are not necessarily harmful, many people are embarrassed by them.
Before identifying which anti-stretch marks products to look for, you must first understand why stretch marks occur. That way, you can avoid the potential causes, and so when you use the treatment, you are no longer creating any more stretch marks which may blur the results of these products.
Here are some potential causes of stretch marks:
- Rapid Weight Gain And Weight Loss: Stretch marks result from rapid weight gain or weight loss. They are caused by the skin being stretched beyond its natural elasticity and can occur in any part of the body. The most promising way to avert stretch marks is to lose or gain weight slowly and keep it off for good. Staying active will help you burn calories more efficiently, losing or gaining pounds more quickly without stretching your skin too thin.
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy stretch marks are caused by rapid growth in your baby and stretching of your skin due to frequent weight gain, hormonal changes, and fluid retention. Stretch marks due to pregnancy can be tough to remove and cause permanent scarring on the skin. Pregnancy can induce stretch marks on the stomach, breasts, hips, etc.
- Genetics: Some people with multiple family members who have stretch marks may be more prone to developing them themselves. This is because their genes are already present in their bodies, and they may not be able to avoid the genetic predisposition for developing them.
- Growth Spurts: Stretch marks are a common physical manifestation of puberty, and it is not uncommon for people to develop stretch marks during this time. During this time, hormones cause your skin to expand since your body is growing rapidly at this stage.
What To Look For In Anti-Stretch Mark Products
There are so many anti-stretch marks products around that it’s hard to choose what to use. These products range from creams, oils, lotions to wraps and patches. It can be overwhelming when you don’t know what product will work best for you.
To help you out, we will tell you what features to look for in finding the best products for your stretch marks. These points are not necessarily stating what products to use but what to look for in finding the best products to use.
Here are some features you want to look for in anti-stretch mark products:
- Tretinoin: Anti-stretch mark products with tretinoin can help reduce the appearance of stretch marks. They can lighten and fade the appearance of stretch marks. They also provide skincare benefits such as hydration and elasticity. Tretinoin is a form of vitamin A that can help reduce stretch marks. It works by increasing collagen production in the dermis layer of the skin, which helps to reinforce it and reduce the risk of breakage.
- Collagen Booster Lotions And Creams: Collagen booster creams help remove stretch marks from the body. They contain ingredients that stimulate collagen production in the body, which helps to reduce the visibility of stretch marks and provides more elasticity to the skin. When you lose collagen, your skin loses its elasticity and becomes weaker. When it becomes more fragile, stretch marks form on your body due to this deficiency.
- Aloe Vera Products: Aloe vera has been effectively used for centuries to help with various skin conditions. It can be used as a topical cream to help remove stretch marks and scars. Aloe vera is a great plant that can relieve the signs of aging, improve skin tone, and even reduce acne breakouts. The best part is that it’s wholly natural and doesn’t have any side effects!
- Creams Or Lotions With Hyaluronic Acid: Hyaluronic acid is a natural substance found in the body. It is present in all cells and helps with tissue repair, lubrication, and water retention. Hyaluronic acid can also be found in creams and lotions. Some creams contain hyaluronic acid because it allows the skin to retain moisture and keep it elastic. It helps prevent and reduce stretch marks.
While these products are effective, note that it will take a while before they thoroughly work. However, if none of these products work despite months of applications, perhaps it’s time to consider stretch mark revision.
Stretch Mark Revision
Stretch Mark Revision is a treatment that uses lasers to get rid of stretch marks efficiently and quickly. Laser procedures are a popular option in the treatment of stretch marks. They use a light beam to break down the scar tissue and remove them from the body. The treatment is quick, safe, and effective with minimal pain or recovery time.
Stretch marks aren’t necessarily a sign of any health condition, but they can be embarrassing. Fortunately, many skincare products can help you remove stretch marks permanently, and if none of those work, you can try out stretch mark revision treatment. So if you are interested in removing them, contact and reach out to our clinic, PBK Medspa. We offer services that assist our clients in achieving their ideal aesthetics.